Monday, January 3, 2011

Cafe Style

A Cafe is defined as "a restaurant, usually small and unpretentious."  Thank you Dictionary.com.   

A café racer, originally pronounced "caff" (as in Kaff) racer, is a type of motorcycle as well as a type of motorcyclist. Both meanings have their roots in the 1960s British counterculture group the Rockers, or the Ton-up boys, although they were also common in Italy, Germany, and other European countries. In Italy, the term refers to the specific motorcycles that were and are used for short, sharp speed trips from one coffee bar to another.  Thank you Wikipedia.

Although I like any type of motorcycle, and have ridden everything from Choppers to Race Replicas, I must admit that my favorite style can be classified as a Cafe Racer, also known as Naked Sport Bikes, Super Standards, or Standard.  This style of bike has made a comeback of sorts recently as demonstrated by the "Cafe Racer" television program.  I could make practical arguments, about how these bikes retain the sporty nature of the more track oriented bikes, while providing some more comfort for all day riding, but his would be just rationalization.  The fact of the matter is, I like how they look.  Here are some examples:
What I currently own, a 2004 Kawasaki Z100

The best known, Triumph Speed Triple (What I want to own).















Some have even begun changing newer sport bikes into Cafe style bikes, this is a custom bike made from a Suzuki GSF600 (I believe).














Other well know bikes in this category are the Ducati Monster, Honda 919 or Comet if you live in Europe, Suzuki Bandit (Not the S version), Suzuki SV650 and SV1000.
Just thought I would explain the name.  I hope to continue to post about motorcycles, favorite roads, favorite places, product reviews, as well as motorcycle trips, I plan on going to Yellowstone this summer, as well as a cross country tour in 2012, and all other things motorcycle.

5 comments:

  1. Best motorcycle blog ever.

    I'm glad you finally got this going. I plan to harass you every step along the way.

    And, not wanting to delay . . . . Is there a difference between a naked standard and a cafe racer? Are today's crop of naked standards/sport bikes just the modern incarnation of the cafe racer? I only ask because when I think of cafe racers, I think of bikes like the Triumph Thruxton or Norton Commando, to name a couple of current bikes, and not necessarily the bikes you mentioned.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I believe that the current crop of Naked sport bikes yes. Some of the standards may not fit within the definition as well. For example the Triumph Speed Triple, the Kawasaki Z1000, and the Ducati Monster all trace their lineage to the Cafe Racers of old. I believe like any style of motorcycle the boundaries are continually pushed, and we as buyers seek to classify each bike in a category. Are they vintage, Cafe Racers, no, but like the new Mustang and Camaro, they are modern interpretations of classic Cafe Racers.
    I have planned a Post on vintage vs. modern, including vintage styled moderns like the Thruxton, Mac Motorcycles, and others.

    Thanks for reading more pictures and endless rambling to come.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also forgot that one of the reasons you think of the more traditional styled Cafe Racer's is because you own one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yep. Probably boils down to the "I'm purer than you are." argument that seems to raise its head in any hobby or ideology.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That custom build is a 2001 Suzuki Bandit GFS600S. I built it out as a cafe racer a few years back, rode it for a summer and sold it. It handled like a dream and was the loudest bike I've ever owned.

    ReplyDelete