Monday, January 17, 2011

Thanksgiving at OBX

Many places have begun making stickers for your car, bikes, panniers, and helmets, with three letters, so you can discretely brag about your travels.  One of the first places to begin selling such stickers was the Outerbanks, North Carolina (OBX).

In 2008 my older brother, who currently lives in Northern Virginia, and used to live in North Carolina, invited my family to spend Thanksgiving in the Outerbanks with his family.  It was one of the best vacations I have had with my family.  So for Thanksgiving 2010 my wife and I decided to pack up the family spend a week with my brother, his family, my mom, and my in-laws on the beach. 
The Outerbanks are a string of barrier islands located along the North Carolina Coast.
Confession time.  My lovely wife of 10 years is not a fan of motorcycles.  She has grudingly allowed me to ride throughout my life, and has allowed me to purchase my current ride, and while I would love to ride North Carolina highway 12, which runs the length of the Outerbanks, if I rode she would not come, and if I went without her, she would likely kill me in my sleep, therefore, while this blog is motorcycle oriented I made this trip in a car, which car I will not admit as it would require that I forfeit my man card. 

On December 17, 2010 we flew into Dulles International Airport, which despite the many upgrades, was clearly built in the 1950's.
After spending a couple days at my Brother's house we drove from Washington DC to North Carolina.  Once we arrived we found the house we rented for the week. 
This was the view from the deck at this point I knew it really was going to be a rough week.  Warm weather clear skies, and a wonderful view of the beach, what a rough life I am forced to live. 



The Outerbanks are also famous for having a number of lighthouses, the most famous of which is Cape Hatteras.





While this is the most well known it is not open during the off-season, therefore, we went to Currituck lighthouse that remains open year round.

After you climb to the top, you can walk around the outside of the lighthouse you get a better view of were you are.
On the left is the Atlantice Ocean, and on the right is the sound which seperates mainland North Carolina from the Outerbanks. 
There are two other lighthouses on the Outerbanks, Bodie Island, which was closed for renovations, and Ocracoke.  To get to Ocracoke you drive to the end of Hatteras Island, and ride a ferry. 
After about a 45 minute ferry ride, you arrive at Ocracoke Island, which is famous for being the hiding place for Edward Teach, aka Black Beard.
The lighthouse on Ocracoke is smaller and is a constant 360 degree light rather than a rotating light.

The most important thing of the entire week was that we were their to celebrate Thanksgiving.  We all worked together to create a wonderful meal.  It also did not hurt that it was about 70 degrees, sunny, and right on the beach.

As it was Thanksgiving here are my thanks.  Thank you to everyone who came and spent time with us.  To our great friends from South Carolina who drove up to spend some time with us, we miss you and hope to see more of all of you.  Thanks to my Mom for getting the great home on the beach, and to my Brother for introducing me to the Outerbanks, although it may be the most expensive addition I have, yes even more expensive than motorcycling, to my wonderful in-laws, I consider myself one of the luckiest men on the planet to have married into such a great family.  Finally, and most importantly, thanks to my wonderful wife and two lovely children, thank you for all that you do for me, I am truly blessed. 

1 comment:

  1. Great post, thanks.

    . . . and the trip was done in a minivan.

    In order to regain your man card, you must rebuild a Beamer brake cylinder in the parking lot of a Holiday Inn Express. Oh, wait . . .

    ReplyDelete