Friday, October 14, 2011

Chicken Strips and Hard Bits

The two of you familiar with this blog, will remember my good friend and riding buddy Supe.

Here is Supe with his beloved Suzi, a Bandit 1200.  Supe recently relocated due to a change in employment, it was a change for the better, to a location that has a nice winding canyon road within a short distance.  A few days ago a received a very excited phone call from Supe, at which time he explained that during one of his recent afternoon runs he had scraped his foot peg through a turn.  Now this is not the first time I have had the opportunity to join in another rider's enthusiasm for doing something that others would consider just down right stupid.  During a trip with my brother he also scraped "hard bits" (read foot peg) while riding the Cherohala Skyway.

This recent conversation reminded me of many conversations I have had with other riders regarding chicken strips, and hard bits.  Some riders believe that attempting to eliminate the chicken strips or scrape hard bits to be an act of stupidity and to demonstrate a lack of maturity.  On the other hand there are even some tires which have markings to document your lean angle (Metzler M5 Sportec).  I have tried to determine why some riders I admire, are so against riders comparing chicken strips, but I think I have resolved this problem.

First it is important to remember that it is impossible with some bikes, including ones I have owned in the past, to completely eliminate chicken strips, therefore, comparing the chicken strips on the Z1000 to those on the Raider would be completely idiotic and mean nothing.  Therefore, I believe the action which should be looked upon with disdain is to go out with your riding buddies for the sole purpose of comparing chicken strips.  This could well be a sign that you are in fact a squid.  That being said, one could and should be excited about pushing yourself and your bike farther than before.  On occasion I investigate the status of the chicken strips on the Z1000 (happy to say there are none on the Pirelli Angel ST currently mounted), but I do this not to compare them against others, but to assess my own progression and abilities.  I am always seeking to improve my riding skills, better head and body position, better lines and throttle control, and the natural result of any improvement is more aggressive lean angles, therefore, the chicken strips, or lack thereof is a visual confirmation of my increased ability and confidence.  If you ride just to prove that you can eliminate your chicken strips, or scrape your hard bits you are an idiot, if you ride for the love of riding, and and you use the elimination of chicken strips and ability to scrape the hard bits as one of many indicators to demonstrate you improved riding ability, you should be excited to have evidence of your improvement.

Therefore, to Supe I say congratulations to safely exploring Suzi's limits, and commend you on a job well done.

No comments:

Post a Comment