Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Christmas Highs and Lows

I have always been a fan of Christmas.  This may be due, in large part, to my dilusional tendencies.  At Christmas time I forget the real world and believe that the entire world is like a Norman Rockwell painting.


This is reflected in my choice of Christmas music as well.  Roger Whittaker sings the only Christmas music which escapes from my Ipod these days.

However, Christmas is a tricky time at my house.  The joy of seeing my daughter, (who is lovingly referred to as "Babes") who is five, getting excited at the sight of presents under the tree, and seeing my son (known as "D") at his first real Christmas, he is only one this year, is contrast with the saddness of those loved ones who are no longer with us.  This was brought to a head the other day when I waived to a fellow rider.  Yes, I am lucky enough to live in a climate which allows year round riding, and I waive to other riders, especially those willing to ride in the (colder) winter months, regardless of make or model of bike.  This is the bike I saw.

My younger brother owned a CBR 600F3 like the one above, and he loved to ride.  He passed away five years ago, no not at Christmas time, but I seem to miss him more at Christmas than any other time.  He was only three years younger than I am and we were always close.  We spent many Christmas nights dreaming of toys and of course trying to decide which motorcycle we would ask Santa to bring us.  Yes this tradition continues, I still ask Santa for a Motorcycle every year.  Perhaps this year I will ask for a custom Cafe Racer based on a CB750. 
So while I will read the Christmas Story from the book of Luke in the Bible to my family on Christmas Eve, and wake my daughter up at 4:00 am the next morning exclaiming "Santa has been and left us presents."  A part of me longs for the days when I lay down next to the Christmas Tree with my brother, watching as a slide show of photgraphs, taken by my father, of past Christmas' is projected on the wall.

To all the other riders, keep it shiny side up, enjoy time with friends and families during the holidays, and to steal a phrase from Clement Clarke Moore "Happy Christmas to all and to all a good-night."   

No comments:

Post a Comment